12th Anniversary Sale 12% Off in July & August with the voucher code "SUMMER12" *excludes trade customers
Support Forum

Share your projects and post your questions

Register   or   Sign In
The Forum

Reading multiple sensors

The ADC Pi is an Analogue to Digital converter for the Raspberry Pi

16/01/2019

Posted by:
Geoff

Geoff Avatar

Re IO Pi Plus. Is it possible to read in the 8 inputs from a port as a single 8 bit word rather than polling through all 8 pins

16/01/2019

Posted by:
andrew

andrew Avatar

andrew Twitter  andrew Website  

Hello Geoff

You can read a port as a single 8-bit byte by using the read_port() function in our IO Pi libraries.

Each bus on the IO Pi is split into two ports; port 0 for pins 1 to 8 and port 1 for pins 9 to 16. Calling read_port(0) would read all pins between 1 and 8 and return a number between 0 and 255 or 0x00 and 0xFF.

16/01/2019

Posted by:
Geoff

Geoff Avatar

Thanks Andrew, I just worked that out. I think this will make all the difference for my application where I have to poll 48 independent sensors quickly. I have not yet found a simple list of all the commands available?

16/01/2019

Posted by:
andrew

andrew Avatar

andrew Twitter  andrew Website  

If you are using our python library you can find all of the available functions in our IO Pi Plus GitHub repository

We also have IO Pi libraries for C, C++, Node JS and C# .net in our AB Electronics UK GitHub Repository

You can also find several tutorials on using the IO Pi Plus in our IO Pi Plus Knowledge Base

Sign in to post your reply

Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view.
Download Adobe Acrobat Reader or other PDF reading software for your computer or mobile device.