The Forum

1Wire device not showing up

3640 Views - Created 23/10/2017

23/10/2017

Posted by:
kebro

kebro Avatar

Hey there,

I've bought the Raspberry Pi 1Wire and I'm trying to connect it to my Raspberry Pi 3. I've gone trough the steps as described

My chip is detected I think.

Output of i2cdetect -l is: i2c-1 i2c bcm2835 I2C adapter I2C adapter.

The output of i2cdetect -y contains the number 18, as expected.

When running (sudo) python 1wiretest.py (the code provided in the tutorial) I'm getting the following error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "1wiretest.py", line 2, in 
    ow.init('localhost:4304')
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/ow/__init__.py", line 224, in init
    raise exNoController
ow.exNoController

I'm also getting an error when booting my Raspberry Pi, telling me that my /etc/rc.local failed (this was after adding this line of code: sudo /opt/owfs/bin/owserver -c /etc/owfs.conf --pid-file /var/run/owfs/owserver.pid) I have changed it to sudo /usr/bin/owserver -c /etc/owfs.conf --pid-file /var/run/owfs/owserver.pid, since the path posted in the tutorial seems outdated, but I'm still getting the same error.

Output of systemctl status rc-local.service:

rc-local.service - /etc/rc.local Compatibility
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/rc-local.service; static; vendor preset: enabled)
  Drop-In: /lib/systemd/system/rc-local.service.d
           +-debian.conf
        /etc/systemd/system/rc-local.service.d
           +-ttyoutput.conf
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Mon 2017-10-23 14:25:30 UTC; 51min ago
  Process: 531 ExecStart=/etc/rc.local start (code=exited, status=203/EXEC)

Oct 23 14:25:30 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Starting /etc/rc.local Compatibility...
Oct 23 14:25:30 raspberrypi systemd[1]: rc-local.service: Control process exited, code=exited status=203
Oct 23 14:25:30 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Failed to start /etc/rc.local Compatibility.
Oct 23 14:25:30 raspberrypi systemd[1]: rc-local.service: Unit entered failed state.
Oct 23 14:25:30 raspberrypi systemd[1]: rc-local.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Warning: rc-local.service changed on disk. Run 'systemctl daemon-reload' to reload units.

Running owserver and owhttpd works fine when using a fake device (server: FAKE = DS18S20,DS2405), I can see the two fake devices in my browser (localhost:2121). But when changing the line to server: device = /dev/i2c-1, I get a 'The site can't be reached, localhost refused to connect' in the browser.

Output of sudo services owserver status:

? owserver.service - LSB: 1-wire TCP server
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/owserver; generated; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: active (exited) since Mon 2017-10-23 14:57:27 UTC; 22min ago
     Docs: man:systemd-sysv-generator(8)
  Process: 2092 ExecStop=/etc/init.d/owserver stop (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
  Process: 2100 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/owserver start (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
   CGroup: /system.slice/owserver.service

Oct 23 14:57:26 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Starting LSB: 1-wire TCP server...
Oct 23 14:57:26 raspberrypi OWFS[2106]: DEFAULT: ow_daemon.c:(144) Entered background mode, quitting.
Oct 23 14:57:26 raspberrypi OWFS[2106]: DEFAULT: owlib.c:(52) No valid 1-wire buses found
Oct 23 14:57:27 raspberrypi owserver[2100]: Starting 1-Wire TCP Server: owserver failed!
Oct 23 14:57:27 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Started LSB: 1-wire TCP server.

What am I doing wrong here?

23/10/2017

Posted by:
andrew

andrew Avatar

andrew Twitter  andrew Website  

Hi

Can you try removing the line you added into rc.local.

I just tried setting up a fresh install of Raspbian Stretch and went through the steps in our OWFS tutorial. The 1 wire settings have moved in raspi-config which I have updated and when I tried leaving out the "sudo /opt/owfs/bin/owserver -c /etc/owfs.conf --pid-file /var/run/owfs/owserver.pid)" line in rc.local the python script still worked and the devices on the 1 Wire bus were found so I don't think that line is needed any more.

27/10/2017

Posted by:
kebro

kebro Avatar

I've removed the line in /etc/rc.local as you described and I'm not getting the error that I got at startup anymore, but the 1wire device I'm trying to discover is still not listed when executing the 1wiretest.py.

See this screenshot for the output from various commands I ran, when there was no device connected to the RJ12 port.

When I do connect a device to the RJ12 port on the 1 Wire Pi Plus and I (re)start the owserver with 'sudo service owserver restart' I get different output than without any device attached. See this screenshot. The 1wiretest.py also fails with the 'ow.exNoController' error now, but I guess that this is because the owserver failed to start, and thus is related to that issue and not an issue by itself.

Should the 1-wire also be displayed when I do not connect anything to the RJ12 port on the 1 Wire Pi Plus?

How could it be that the owserver runs fine when there is nothing connected, but when there is something connected, it fails to start? Where should I begin looking for problems here?

I've tested the cable I'm using with the RJ12 connector and the data it delivers with a "P1 tester" this tester shows me that the P1 telegram it outputs is correct.

27/10/2017

Posted by:
andrew

andrew Avatar

Can you check that the pinout for your cable and sensor matches the RJ12 socket on the 1 Wire Pi Plus? You can find the pinout for the RJ12 connector on the 1 Wire Pi Plus page.

If the sensor is wired wrong and is shorting the connection between OW and ground or OW and RT then that could cause the 1 Wire Pi to stop working when you connect your cable to the board.

27/10/2017

Posted by:
kebro

kebro Avatar

Thanks for your reply! What I'm trying to do is connect a device which uses the p1 protocol. This device sends its data as follows:

Pin 1: NC
Pin 2: RTS
Pin 3: GND
Pin 4: NC
Pin 5: RxD
Pin 6: NC

The 1 Wire Pi Plus expects the following layout according to your website:

Pin 1: RTS
Pin 2: GND
Pin 3: OW
Pin 4: RT
Pin 5: NC
Pin 6: NC

So indeed, the pin layout differs.

Is it possible to remap these pin layout within the 1 wire software? Should cutting open the RJ12/RJ11 cable and mapping the pins to the correct veins might be a solution? Or have I bought the wrong product:p

27/10/2017

Posted by:
andrew

andrew Avatar

Unfortunately, I don't think the 1 Wire Pi will work with the P1 protocol as it is designed to work with Maxims 1 Wire protocol which uses a different wiring system and the communication packets would not be compatible.

What device are you trying to connect to?

Sign in to post your reply

Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view.
Download Adobe Acrobat Reader or other PDF reading software for your computer or mobile device.