Support Forum

Share your projects and post your questions

Register   or   Sign In
The Forum

measuring voltage of individual cells in 16s lithium battery pack.

1621 Views - Created 12/04/2019

12/04/2019

Posted by:
xsherlock

xsherlock Avatar

Dear.

Can this module be used for measuring indiviual voltage in 48V lithium battery pack?

The concern I have is that all inputs have a common ground and in battery they wired in series so I should be measuring it on 2 wires on every single cell as there is no common ground.

How do I do that?

TIA

Maciej

12/04/2019

Posted by:
andrew

andrew Avatar

andrew Twitter  andrew Website  

Hello Maciej

Measuring the cells directly would not be possible as like you said they would all share a common ground through the ADC. You will need to isolate the ADC inputs from each cell using something like an isolated operational amplifier but that would mean that there is a constant current draw on each cell from the op-amps so they would discharge themselves over time.

A better option may be to use a dedicated battery monitor which is designed for monitoring and load-balancing multi-cell battery packs. Several manufacturers make battery monitor ICs that would work on a lithium battery pack. The BQ76PL455Afor example from Texas Instruments can monitor up to 16 cells and communicates over UART so it could be connected to a Raspberry Pi.

Sign in to post your reply

Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view.
Download Adobe Acrobat Reader or other PDF reading software for your computer or mobile device.