12th Anniversary Sale 12% Off in July & August with the voucher code "SUMMER12" *excludes trade customers
Support Forum

Share your projects and post your questions

Register   or   Sign In
The Forum

measuring voltage of individual cells in 16s lithium battery pack.

The ADC Pi is an Analogue to Digital converter for the Raspberry Pi

12/04/2019

Posted by:
xsherlock

xsherlock Avatar

Dear.

Can this module be used for measuring indiviual voltage in 48V lithium battery pack?

The concern I have is that all inputs have a common ground and in battery they wired in series so I should be measuring it on 2 wires on every single cell as there is no common ground.

How do I do that?

TIA

Maciej

12/04/2019

Posted by:
andrew

andrew Avatar

andrew Twitter  andrew Website  

Hello Maciej

Measuring the cells directly would not be possible as like you said they would all share a common ground through the ADC. You will need to isolate the ADC inputs from each cell using something like an isolated operational amplifier but that would mean that there is a constant current draw on each cell from the op-amps so they would discharge themselves over time.

A better option may be to use a dedicated battery monitor which is designed for monitoring and load-balancing multi-cell battery packs. Several manufacturers make battery monitor ICs that would work on a lithium battery pack. The BQ76PL455Afor example from Texas Instruments can monitor up to 16 cells and communicates over UART so it could be connected to a Raspberry Pi.

Sign in to post your reply

Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view.
Download Adobe Acrobat Reader or other PDF reading software for your computer or mobile device.