The Forum

Intermiitent detection of i2c

1230 Views - Created 22/11/2019

22/11/2019

Posted by:
yfaykya

yfaykya Avatar

Hi,

I installed the 1 Wire Pi plus and I was wondering was this normal? So out of 100 runs of the detect only found 4% of the time.

$ for x in {1..100}; do sudo i2cdetect -y 1 | grep -q 18 && echo "Found"; done
Found
Found
Found
Found
$ uname -a
Linux pi-heater 4.19.75-v7+ #1270 SMP Tue Sep 24 18:45:11 BST 2019 armv7l GNU/Linux

$ cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep Model
Model : Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Rev 1.2

This is with the board only connected. I have not added any devices.

Thanks

22/11/2019

Posted by:
andrew

andrew Avatar

andrew Twitter  andrew Website  

Hi

I tried running the same command on a Raspberry Pi 3 with a 1 Wire Pi Plus installed and it returned found 100 times so it looks like there is a problem with the communication between your Raspberry Pi and 1 Wire board.

Please can you try checking all of the solder joints on the GPIO header, 2-pin jumper and RJ12 connector to make sure there are no dry joints or solder bridges? An intermittent fault like this where the 1 Wire board is detected some of the time would suggest a mechanical or software issue.

If you have a spare SD card it may be worth trying a clean install of Raspbian Linux to rule out any problems with the version you are currently using.

If the problem still persists after that then it could be a fault with the 1 Wire Pi Plus in which case I will send you a replacement.

22/11/2019

Posted by:
yfaykya

yfaykya Avatar

Thanks for the fast repsonse! So my bad. I had assumed the jumper referred to was the solder jumper to change address for i2c.

Once I soldered that it works great!

Sorry for the hassle!

Sign in to post your reply

Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view, download Adobe Acrobat Reader or other PDF reading software for your computer or mobile device.