The Forum

using 1-w Linux Kernel Modules

3076 Views - Created 17/02/2020

17/02/2020

Posted by:
hwissing

hwissing Avatar

Hello,

recently I bought a 1Wire Pi Plus. I intend to use the board with Raspian Buster. I tried to test the board in combination with a RaspberryPi 4, as this fails, with a 3B+. I2C installation seems to work on booth Pis, device is detected 0x18. I intend to use the Kernel Modules. With the 1-wire interface enabeled - /boot/config.txt -dtoverlay=w1-gpio, I find a w1 directory in "/sys/bus" with faulty files. When I comment out - #dtoverlay=w1-gpio - and insert instead - dtoverlay=ds2482 - I do not find a w1 folder in "/sys/bus". This is also true when adding w1-therm to config.txt. Installation of OWFS failed, some errors during installation. I'm reluctant to use OWFS at all, as I do not know, whether the package works under Python 3, I use only, and as there are many issues reported. Tutorial are old, outdated probably. What's to do, to get a running system?

Regards

hwissing

18/02/2020

Posted by:
andrew

andrew Avatar

andrew Twitter  andrew Website  

Hello hwissing

The ds2482 overlay does not appear to work on Raspbian Buster so you will have to enable the kernel module manually. The following steps should work.

Edit /etc/modules

sudo nano /etc/modules

Add the following to the end of the file:

ds2482

Save the file and then edit /etc/rc.local

sudo nano /etc/rc.local

Add the following after the comments but before the exit 0 line:

echo ds2482 0x18 > /sys/bus/i2c/devices/i2c-1/new_device

Save the file and reboot.

Your 1-wire devices should now be available in /sys/bus/w1/devices

Make sure you remove dtoverlay=ds2482 and dtoverlay=w1-gpio from /boot/config.txt otherwise it may not work correctly. I tried the steps above with a Raspberry Pi 4 and a clean install of the latest Raspbian Linux and the two devices on my 1 Wire Pi Plus appear in the devices folder.

Sign in to post your reply

Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view.
Download Adobe Acrobat Reader or other PDF reading software for your computer or mobile device.