Register   or   Sign In
The Forum

Rs485 pi V2.0

473 Views - Created 10/02/2022

10/02/2022

Posted by:
kyawzinwin

kyawzinwin Avatar

how can I configure Interface, the baud rate, Data Bit, Parity, Stop Bit to communicate with Rs485 devices
how can I install the driver
which part do I need to solder?

10/02/2022

Posted by:
andrew

andrew Avatar

andrew Twitter  andrew Website  

The RS485 Pi uses the Raspberry Pi UART serial port so it does not need any additional drivers to work. You will need to configure the UART serial port before you can use it, we have a tutorial on our website at https://www.abelectronics.co.uk/kb/article/1035/serial-port-setup-in-raspberry-pi-os which explains the steps needed.

Once configured you can access the RS485 Pi on the device /dev/ttyAMA0. Setting the baud rate, Data Bit, Parity and Stop Bit will depend on which software you are using to access the serial port. As the RS485 Pi uses the UART serial port, any software or programming libraries designed for serial communication should work with the RS485 Pi.

When assembling the RS485 Pi you will need to solder the 40-pin GPIO header to the board. If you are using a DB-9 cable for serial communication you will need to solder the DB-9 connector to the board, otherwise, you can use the 3-pin header with the ground, A and B connections.

A 120R resistor is included with the RS485 Pi. This will need to be soldered into the R3 Terminator holes if the RS485 Pi is at the end of an RS485 bus. The product page for the RS485 Pi explains this in more detail.

Sign in to post your reply

Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view, download Adobe Acrobat Reader or other PDF reading software for your computer or mobile device.