The Forum

Stacking ADC DAC Pi

2296 Views - Created 23/04/2017

23/04/2017

Posted by:
jahabdank

jahabdank Avatar

jahabdank Twitter  

Hello all,I am looking to make a device which can measure voltage on n channels, and then replay the same wveforms that it measured back (to the same channels).My gereral requirements:I literally have to have the same electrodes/calbes for both in and out, and only use softawre to switch them from being DAC to ADCI would like to have at least 4, but preferably 8 or 16 channelsSampling rates minimum 250SPS, but preferably in 1-10kSPS rangedifferential input/output, so not 0-5V, but -2 to 2 voltsSo my question is, could I use the ADC DAC PI componenet for it? Can I stack them to have more than 2 DAC/ADC? If no, can you recommend some other board?Thanks!

23/04/2017

Posted by:
andrew

andrew Avatar

andrew Twitter  andrew Website  

Hello

Unfortunately, only one ADC DAC Pi can be used on a Raspberry Pi as it uses the SPI bus which only supports up to two SPI devices. As the ADC DAC Pi uses one channel for the ADC and the other for the DAC there isn't any easy way of adding any additional devices to the bus.

The closest ADC board we have based on your requirements would be the ADC Differential Pi. It has 8 channels on each board and a differential input of -2.048V to +2.048V but the maximum sample rate is 240SPS in 12-bit mode so that will probably be too slow for your project. The 240SPS is also the maximum rate when reading from a single channel. If you are switching between channels then the sample rate will be lower as there is a small delay when changing to the next channel.

As the ADC Differential Pi uses the I2C bus it can be stacked with up to four boards on a single Raspberry Pi giving you a maximum of 32 inputs.

We don't have any 8-channel DAC boards at the moment.

Sign in to post your reply

Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view, download Adobe Acrobat Reader or other PDF reading software for your computer or mobile device.