12th Anniversary Sale 12% Off in July & August with the voucher code "SUMMER12" *excludes trade customers
Support Forum

Share your projects and post your questions

Register   or   Sign In
The Forum

Expander Pi IO

The Expander Pi is an Analogue, Digital and RTC Expansion Interface for the Raspberry Pi

30/06/2015

Posted by:
allanwright

allanwright Avatar

I don't know if this is a bug, a hardware problem or my mistake, but I am running the following code in the Adafruit IDE. It just toggles all of the pins in each IO port on the Expander Pi from 1 to 0. All of the pins are working except pin 1 and pin 9 (ie. pin 0 of each port) which appear to be floating. Any suggestions?
import timeimport threadingimport argparseimport pikafrom ABE_helpers import ABEHelpersfrom ABE_ExpanderPi import RTCfrom ABE_ExpanderPi import ADCfrom ABE_ExpanderPi import IOfrom ABE_ExpanderPi import DACimport timeimport os
i2c_helper = ABEHelpers()bus = i2c_helper.get_smbus()
io = IO(bus) # create an instance of the IO classrtc = RTC(bus) # create a new instance of the RTC class
io.set_port_direction( 0, 1 )io.set_port_direction( 1, 1 )
print "Test I/O ports" toggle = 0;while True: toggle = 1 - toggle value = toggle * 255 io.write_port( 0, value ) io.write_port( 1, value ) print "Time: " + rtc.read_time_AMW() + "set ports to ", value time.sleep(2)

30/06/2015

Posted by:
andrew

andrew Avatar

andrew Twitter  andrew Website  

The problem appears to be with the io.set_port_direction( 0, 1 ) and io.set_port_direction( 1, 1 ).

set_port_direction takes a value between 0 and 255 for the second variable so you can set the direction of each pin individually.

On each pin a value of 0 sets the pin as an output while 1 sets it as an input so if you wanted to set pins 2, 4, 6 and 8 as inputs and 1, 3, 5 and 7 as outputs you would use a value of 170 or 0b10101010 in binary.

Where you are setting the value as 1 that is setting the port direction to be output on all of the pins except the first one, pins 1 and 9 which are being set as inputs. To set all of the pins as outputs try using a value of 0.

io.set_port_direction( 0, 0 )
io.set_port_direction( 1, 0 )

Sign in to post your reply

Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view.
Download Adobe Acrobat Reader or other PDF reading software for your computer or mobile device.