Register   or   Sign In
The Forum

Wiring IO pi with a "standard" I2C device

1972 Views - Created 15/05/2018

15/05/2018

Posted by:
pabs.agro

pabs.agro Avatar

Hi all. Sorry if the question is silly but I'm no expert in the electronic matters.

I bought a IO Pi Zero to expend my I2C pins. I followed the psh button and the LED tutorials, but when it comes to more complex device, I am stuck.

I'm trying to wire an Adafruit 7-segments with I2C backpack, with IO Pi. I understand how to wire +, -, but I don't know where to wire SCL and SDA.

Here is the wiring schema without IO Pi.

Can you please help me ?

Thanks !

15/05/2018

Posted by:
andrew

andrew Avatar

andrew Twitter  andrew Website  

Hi

The digital I/O pins on the IO Pi Zero are not fast enough to be used as separate I2C buses so you will need to connect the display to the I2C bus on the GPIO header.

The diagram below shows how you would connect the display to the Raspberry Pi GPIO header. The D and C pins on the display go to the SDA and SCL pins on the Raspberry Pi and the + and - go to the 3.3V and GND pins. Pin 1 on the GPIO header is nearest to the SD card socket on the Pi.forum image

Sign in to post your reply

Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view.
Download Adobe Acrobat Reader or other PDF reading software for your computer or mobile device.