The Forum

i2c installation instructions

3088 Views - Created 16/11/2015

16/11/2015

Posted by:
kryten2x4p

kryten2x4p Avatar

hello
I am following the instruction given on https://www.abelectronics.co.uk/kb/article/1/i2c--smbus-and-raspbian-linux
All was going well until I went to download the i2c tools source using wget http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/main/i/i2c-tools/i2c-tools_3.1.0.orig.tar.bz2
I get returned the timestamp followed by ERROR 404: Not Found
I can see the file if I put the ftp address into a browser on my windows pc.
I have checked several times that I have not entered the string wrongly.
Any ideas? I'm relatively new to this and don't know how to use alternative dload methods with the pi
Thanks

16/11/2015

Posted by:
admin

admin Avatar

admin Website  

Please can you check the DNS settings on the Raspberry Pi networking? It sounds like a name resolving issue if the domain cant be found.

16/11/2015

Posted by:
kryten2x4p

kryten2x4p Avatar

Thanks for the response.
It is not a DNS issue. While making one of several attempts to download the file I omitted the underscore between /i2c-tools and 3.1.0... and it downloaded a file called i2c-tools! Is there an issue with the underscore symbol? Am I using the right symbol (shift - [minus]) between zero and equals keys?
Thanks

21/11/2015

Posted by:
kryten2x4p

kryten2x4p Avatar

I eventually got it sorted by downloading the i2c-tools_3.1.0.orig.tar.bz2 file using the browser in the GUI. I then just had to decompress the file and move the folder up 1 level before following the instructions. I think the instructions should be more clear as to what version of Debian they are refering to as I had a few wee muddling problems that I eventuallymanaged to sort through. I don't usually like to have to exercise my brain cells this much but it was worth it in the end!
Next is the IO Plus board...

21/11/2015

Posted by:
kryten2x4p

kryten2x4p Avatar

Sigh... After having the PI off for a few hours, I powered it up and the clock reads wrong. I have run out of options. Please help...

22/11/2015

Posted by:
andrew

andrew Avatar

andrew Twitter  andrew Website  

Have you followed our tutorial for setting up the RTC Pi Plus on Raspbian Jessie which is the current version? https://www.abelectronics.co.uk/kb/article/30/rtc-pi-on-a-raspberry-pi-raspbian-jessie the instructions have changed since the earlier versions of Raspbian as there were some changes in Jessie which stopped the RTC from working. Also, check that the CR2032 battery that you need to put into the RTC Pi Plus is fully charged.

I have updated the tutorial for installing I2C to make the python 3 part simpler. You no longer have to download the python 3 version of smbus separately as it is now included in the apt-get repository so you can use sudo apt-get install python3-smbus instead. This wasn't available when we last updated the tutorial but I have just tried going through each step on a new install of Raspbian Jessie and it appears to be working ok.

Sign in to post your reply

Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view, download Adobe Acrobat Reader or other PDF reading software for your computer or mobile device.