Register   or   Sign In
The Forum

Connecting 1-Wire Devices to IO Pi Plus

2348 Views - Created 10/03/2017

10/03/2017

Posted by:
RichieRogers

RichieRogers Avatar

Hi,I'm new to the Raspberry Pi world and am currently planning to use one as part of my home automation.Coming from a VB.net background I'm looking to use Windows 10 IoT (which I thankfully see is supported).I'm just wondering if i can connect 1-wire devices (such as DHT11 and DS18b20) to the GPIOs on the IO Pi Plus, or can I only do that with the Pi's on board GPIOs?Also, do you only supply the IO Pi Plus in "kit form" or do you also provide it pre-soldered? Thanks,Richie

10/03/2017

Posted by:
andrew

andrew Avatar

andrew Twitter  andrew Website  

Hi Richie

The IO Pi Plus would not be suitable for connecting 1-wire devices as the switching speed of the IO channels is too slow for 1-wire communication.

We do have a 1-Wire Pi Plus and 1-Wire Pi Zero board that is designed for connecting 1-Wire devices to the Raspberry Pi but I am not sure if they will work with Windows 10 IOT as we have only tested them on Linux. After a quick google search, I did find a .Net library for connecting to the DS2482-100 used on our two 1-Wire boards but as I have not tested it I don't know whether it will do what you need.

We do only supply the IO Pi Plus in kit form but for it to work correctly you only need to solder the first six pins and the last two on the 40-pin header as shown in the photo below.

forum image

10/03/2017

Posted by:
RichieRogers

RichieRogers Avatar

Ok, thanks for the info.So, could i connect both an IO Pi Plus and 1-Wire Pi Plus to the same rPi at the same time without problems? Thanks,Richie

10/03/2017

Posted by:
andrew

andrew Avatar

andrew Twitter  andrew Website  

You can connect both boards to the Raspberry Pi at the same time. The 1-Wire Plus board will show up as an I2C address 0x18 while the IO Pi Plus will appear as addresses 0x20 and 0x21.

Sign in to post your reply

Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view.
Download Adobe Acrobat Reader or other PDF reading software for your computer or mobile device.